School Board Approves 2022-23 Academic Calendar
The Jefferson Parish School Board approved the 2022-23 academic calendar. Board members approved “calendar option C,” which received the most votes in two public surveys conducted by the district in January. You can view the full calendar online.
Highlights of the 2022-23 calendar include:
- Teachers start August 2. Students in grades 1-12 start August 8. Kindergarten and pre-K students start August 11-12.
- Fall Break is October 7&10, Thanksgiving Break is November 21-25, Winter Break is December 19 to January 2, Mardi Gras Break is February 17-24, and Spring Break is April 6-10.
- Other student holidays include September 5 (Labor Day), September 23 (Teacher PD/Parent Conferences), November 8 (Election Day), January 3 (Records Day/Teacher PD) January 16 (MLK), and February 10 (Teacher PD/Parent Conferences).
- Four Mission to Mastery intercession periods will be offered for students who need additional support. These will be June 16 to July 8 (Jefferson Summer Bridge), December 19-21 and 28-30 (during Winter Break), and February 23-24 (during Mardi Gras Break).
- The last day for students is May 23 and the last day for teachers is May 24.
This year’s calendar survey also asked stakeholders their preference should days need to be made up for inclement weather or an emergency situation. Of the 5,720 who participated in the survey, 49.7% preferred adding minutes to the day, 31.2% preferred a combination of added minutes and days, and 19% preferred adding days to the calendar by removing holidays.
The Jefferson Parish Schools calendar committee met January 6 and 11 to develop calendar options. Based on feedback from the committee and Dr. Gray, three options were presented to stakeholders through a public survey available from January 14 through January 21 at noon. After over 5,700 votes were cast in the survey, calendar C led calendar B by less than 50 votes. Due to this less than 1% difference and because no calendar received more than 39% of the vote, we asked stakeholders to select between these two most popular options in a runoff survey from January 22 through January 25 at noon. After the close of the runoff survey, calendar C received 51.7% of the 6,942 votes cast.
The approved calendar provides more than the required instructional minutes, adheres to the board’s agreement with the Jefferson Federation of Teachers, and includes voluntary Mission to Mastery intersession periods to provide students with additional optional opportunities for enrichment and accelerated learning.