JP Schools Awards Top Accelerated Readers for Fall 2019
Jefferson Parish Schools rewarded students, teachers, and schools during the January board meeting for their success in the district's Accelerated Reader program.
Accelerated Reader is a computer-based program that monitors students' reading practice and progress. The program determines the exact grade level and child is reading on and helps teachers guide students to books on their reading level. Once students complete books, they take a short quiz that checks for understanding and rewards progress points. Students use those progress points as part of the district's Rewards-for-Reading program, where community and corporate partners incentivize reading through special prizes and awards.
"This became an outlet for partners in the community to step up and be involved, and they have done that," said JP Schools Superintendent Dr. Cade Brumley. "We have a ton of energy throughout the parish of people wanting to help students be successful and proficient readers."
JP Schools expanded the Accelerated Reader program to every elementary school this year. Along with helping assure students are reading on grade level, the program also offers an easy way for the community to get involved in the success of students.
Top Accelerated Readers
- Heaven Brown, Hart Elementary
- Alexander Carr, Alexander Elementary
- Colston Kinney, Hearst Elementary
- Steven Funes Morales, Hearst Elementary
- Emma Stancil, Schneckenburger Elementary
- Huthifa Sharshir, Riviere Elementary
- Hoang Tran, Green Park Elementary
- James Dwyer, Airline Park Academy
- Tus Le, Schneckenburger Elementary
- Yuhang Wu, Metairie Academy
Top Accelerated Reader Class and Teacher
- Kendra Mote, Hart Elementary
- Susan Dufrene, Grand Isle School
- Ayla Akinci, Hearst Elementary
- Shelle Buras, Hart Elementary
- Mary Weiter, Schneckenburger Elementary
- Lauren Landry, Riviere Elementary
- Katherine Bonnet, Keller Elementary
- Stacey Ledet, Keller Elementary
- Jennifer Smith, Schneckenburger Elementary
- Angela Haas, Schneckenburger Elementary
Top Accelerated Reader School
- St. Pierre Academy
- Hart Elementary