2023 SENIOR PACKAGE INFORMATION
Alfred T. BONNABEL HIGH SCHOOL
CLASS OF 2023—GRADUATION INFORMATION
SUNDAY, MAY 21, 2023, 7:00 P.M. AT THE PONTCHARTRAIN CENTER
Alfred T. Bonnabel Magnet Academy High School is proud to present the Class of 2023 Commencement Exercises. Congratulations to our graduating Seniors and their families.
The Commencement Ceremony is a prestigious event that was many years in the making. To help ensure this event is both successful and memorable, Jefferson Parish Public Schools, the Pontchartrain Center, and Bonnabel High School request your full cooperation with the expectations included in this document.
Before the Graduation Ceremony
Seniors will be allowed on campus May 15 – 18, 2023 from 8:30 – 11:00 a.m. to complete any outstanding academic or financial obligations and receive all required signatures for checkout.
Graduation practice is mandatory for all Seniors participating in the graduation ceremony. Practice will be held in Bonnabel’s Gymnasium on Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 2:30 PM.
During graduation practice, Seniors should expect to do the following:
- Rehearse the commencement exercises which includes the line-up, practice the processional and recessional, learn seating placement, provide the correct pronunciation of each graduates’ names.
- Receive their cap and gown, graduation tickets, cords, and other regalia for the ceremony.
- Return Chromebooks and any additional technology.
- Pay any outstanding fees, budgets, and other obligations.
- Receive graduation tickets.
Be reminded that students must return the Senior Checkout Clearance Card (completed with all required signatures) in order to receive graduation tickets.
At the graduation ceremony
This is a ceremony to recognize Seniors achievement and hard-work; hence, everyone is expected to conduct themselves with the dignity and respect this occasion deserves.
Graduates should arrive no later than 6:00 PM. Before Seniors are admitted to the staging area in Hall C, they will undergo a search and dress code check. Students must adhere to the following:
Graduation Dress Code
- Printed dresses may be worn if the length is shorter than graduation gown. Dresses longer than the gown must be solid black.
- All pant legs must be black.
- Collared shirt with tie—your collar and tie will show above your gown, therefore only white collared shirts and black ties will be allowed.
- ONLY Black Dress Shoes or Flats (closed-toe; no sandals or slippers)
- Jewelry is limited to studs or pearls (no hoops or large earrings).
- NOT ALLOWED—You are not permitted to wear any of the following items:
- Jeans (no matter what color)
- Tennis/Athletic Shoes
- Any heels or wedges
- Shoes other than black
- Large earrings or visible necklaces
The administration and staff reserves the right to deny entry and participation at the graduation program to Seniors who are not in compliance with the graduation ceremony dress code.
It is extremely important that students do not bring bags or any items that will not fit in their pockets as students will not permitted to carry any items to the graduation floor or leave items in the staging area.
All graduates MUST wear the approved Bonnabel High School graduation regalia to participate in the graduation ceremony.
- Cap and gown purchased from Jostens—it is different from previous years.
- Graduation Caps and Gowns shall NOT be decorated or personalized in ANY WAY.
- Only the graduation cords that were distributed by Bonnabel may staff be worn during the graduation ceremony.
- Only National Honor Society Seniors are permitted to wear the NHS yolk.
- Only Honor Graduates Seniors are permitted to wear the HG stole.
Seniors are expected to behave in a dignified and respectful manner and shall adhere to all district and school codes of conduct for behavioral expectations before, during, and after the graduation ceremony.
- Cell phones shall not be used or seen.
- Seniors shall remain courteous and respectful.
- Seniors shall remain silent while speakers are at the podium.
- Seniors shall remain seated until directed to do otherwise.
- Seniors shall demonstrate poise and grace while standing, approaching the stage, receiving their diploma on stage, and returning to their designated seats.
Seniors who violate the aforementioned behavioral expectations shall not receive a diploma on May 21st. Those Seniors and their parent(s) shall be required to attend a special conference with the principal, Ms. Meggs-Hamilton. Conferences will be scheduled beginning, Monday, July 24, 2023.
After the Graduation Ceremony
During the recessional, students will walk off the auditorium floor back into Hall C in the same order they entered.
Seniors will receive their diploma, then immediately exit the Pontchartrain Center to meet their families.
AT The Graduation Ceremony
Only the graduates and ticket holders are permitted entry the Pontchartrain Center. No loitering in the parking areas before or after ceremeny. No attendees shall be allowed to wait in the parking areas until the ceremony ends. Anyone other than the graduates and ticket holders shall be considered trespassers.
Tickets and Entry Process
- The doors to the Pontchartrain Center will open for guests at 6:00 PM.
- All guests over 6 months of age must have an authentic Bonnabel High School Graduation ticket for the Pontchartrain Center and will be subject to security clearance and search. At the security checkpoint, your patience and understanding are appreciated.
- Purses/Bags shall be checked upon entering the venue. Purses/Bags larger than 4.5” x 6.5” will not be allowed in the building. You will lose your place in line if you are required to return to your vehicle a purse/bag that exceeds the aforementioned size.
- The graduation ceremony will begin promptly at 7:00 PM. Once the procession of graduates begins, the doors to the auditorium will be closed and shall not be interrupted by guests until all graduates have been seated.
During the ceremony guests are expected to maintain proper decorum by being courteous and respectful of neighboring guests as well as adhere to the following:
- Turning off all electronic devices upon entry to the auditorium.
- Be seated during the ceremony and remain seated through the end of the program.
- Be respectful to all speakers and refrain from talking during the ceremony.
- Refrain from the use of loud or disruptive behavior – screaming, whistling, or using noisemakers.
- Posters, banners, balloons, confetti poppers, or anything that may obstruct or distract the vision of other guests are not allowed in the auditorium.
Guests are allowed to take photographs and video recordings during the ceremony provided they do not leave their seat and are not obtrusive to other guests. An official recording of the ceremony will be televised on the JPS TV channel.
Guests who do not adhere to the graduation ceremony etiquette will be escorted out of the ceremony and not permitted to return.
After the Graduation Ceremony
The Ponchartrain Center is requesting the immediate departure of all students and guests from the buildings and parking areas. Celebrations of any kind (Jazz Bands, Second Lines, Indians, dancers, photo sessions, etc.) on the premises and parking areas are strictly prohibited.
Everyone shall adhere to the Jefferson Parish Schools and Bonnabel High Schools code of conduct as well as abide by the request of any school official and law enforcement officers represented by Kenner Police Department and Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office.
Alfred Bonnabel Magnet Academy High School Administration and Sponsors