Mission & Vision
Joshua Butler Elementary School is located in the heart of Westwego, Louisiana, on the Westbank of the Mississippi River of Jefferson Parish. The school draws its nearly four-hundred students from the surrounding areas of Westwego and Marrero. The student population is multiethnic, creating a rich mix of cultures, languages, and traditions at the school. The diverse student population attends regular and special education classes. The school houses approximately twenty-four regular classes, from pre-kindergarten to fifth grade. Three special education classes provide for the needs of the handicapped population.
All of the students are provided with challenging, academic activities that meet individual needs and address subject area content standards.
Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Joshua Butler Elementary is a PreK – 5th grade Title 1 school, receiving federal funds to implement many effective programs that enhance the regular programs offered by Jefferson Parish Public School System.
- 2009-2010 received SACS Accredititation
- August 17, 2010 named the first Bucketfilling School in the state of Louisiana
- 2010 School of Exemplary Academic Growth
- April 17, 2013 2nd place Team Division at the 7th Annual Dance Challenge
- 2013 Top Gains School
- April 2014: 1st Place Team for Swing; 2nd and 3rd Place for Tango; 2nd and 5th Place Waltz; 2nd and 5th Place Swing.
- July 2014 Our School Principal, Denise Rehm, named Principal of the Year for the State of Louisiana.
- In 1986, the site became known as Joshua Butler Elementary School in honor of an African-American educator, Joshua Butler, Sr.
- He taught children on the Westbank for almost thirty years and tutored adults after his school day was over.
- Education was so important to Joshua Butler, Sr., he came to be lovingly known as “Prof” by his students.
- Joshua Butler, Sr. pushed to ensure quality education for all students.
Our School Plant
- The Joshua Butler Elementary physical plant consists of five buildings. The three story main building is one of the historic buildings in the city of Westwego.
- The building served as one of two high schools on the Westbank of Jefferson Parish.
- When the school became Worley Junior High School two buildings were added for classrooms and a library, along with a cafeteria and gymnasium.
Regular Schedule Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 2:50 p.m.
Early Release Schedule Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 12:20 p.m.