What We Do
What We Do
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is part of the District Affairs Unit of the Jefferson Parish Schools.
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports provides an operational framework for improving student academic and behavior outcomes.
- It ensures all students have access to the most effective and accurately implemented instructional and behavioral practices and interventions.
- PBIS is NOT a curriculum, but IS a decision-making framework that guides selection, integration and implementation of the best evidence-based academic and behavioral practices for improving academic and behavioral outcomes for all students.
- The basic PBIS approach is to use proactive, research-based strategies to teach clearly defined behavioral expectations.
- It establishes ongoing behavior supports that can be used by ALL students, staff, parents, volunteers, and community members.
Why does PBIS Work?
Research shows that when a school environment is positive and predictable, students feel safe, have better academic performance, higher test results and make better behavior choices. Schools also show a gain in instructional time and a reduction in discipline referrals and out of school suspensions.