School Information & Procedures:
7:30 am - 2:20 pm
- Students may not be on campus until 7:00 am.
- Students must be escorted in by a parent if they arrive after 7:30 am.
(See Transportation section about AM and PM procedures)
Uniform information is available here.
- School uniforms are required for all students. Violating school uniform requirements will result in disciplinary action.
- Read the uniform requirements carefully as they depend on the student’s grade level. No hoodies will be allowed.
- Student ID's must be worn while on campus. All students will receive their 1st ID for free, but replacement IDs will cost $5.00.
- Spirit Shirts may be worn on designated school days. All students who pay their supply fee will receive a spirit shirt. Additional Spirit Shirts may be purchased through our online store.
- Benson Sweatshirts and Masks are also available for purchase through our online store. (Sweatshirsts = $15 / Masks = 1 for $8 or 2 for $15)
- Tom Benson's school supply fee is $35.00 per student. You may pay your child's fee through our online store.
- The fee covers a spirit shirt, school ID, communication folder, printed materials, and classroom supplies not on the supply list.
- Click here for grade specific supply lists.
- Students may bring their own reusable water bottle (with their name written on it) to use at school. Due to Covid restrictions, the mouth water spouts will not be accessible. Students will refill water bottles using the elongated spouts on the water fountains as needed.
***Students must ride the bus to school at least once before they are allowed to ride the bus home. This does not mean they have to ride it every morning, just at least once. There are no exceptions to this rule***
Bus drivers will be in touch about pick up/drop off times before the first day of school. Please remember to practice social distancing while at the stop.
DO NOT REMOVE the colored wristband on the student’s backpack, as this is how we ensure students get on the right bus.
Please follow these directions:
- Cars will line up starting on 33rd Street, turn onto Roosevelt, then onto 34th Street, in order to turn into the school’s front parking lot.
- The parking lot is one way, exiting onto 33rd Street.
- Cars are not allowed to merge in the car line from Maine Avenue. Failure to follow these expectations will result in a student not being released. Click here to view images of these directions.
Morning Arrival: The carpool dropoff line begins at 7:00am. Students must remain in the car until an adult opens the door to let them out. No students should arrive at school prior to 7:00am.
Afternoon Dismissal: The carpool pickup line begins at 2:20pm. A sign with your student’s name must be displayed on the inside of your car's windshield. Students WILL NOT be allowed to get in any vehicle without the appropriate car number/name displayed. No student will be released to a person walking up to the car lane. If you walk up, you will be directed to the walkers' gate on 34th Street. With time and practice, the line will move faster. Thanks in advance for your patience.
Students not picked up by 2:50pm will be placed in Child Care, a $20 registration fee for Child Care will be assigned, and the daily rate for Child Care will be billed.
Walkers / Bike Riders:
Students will enter from the gate on 34th Street behind the annex building beginning at 7:00am.
No students are allowed to use the walker gate if they arrive/leave by car. Students will receive a consequence for violating safety protocols. DO NOT PUT YOUR CHILD’S SAFETY AT RISK.
Students are responsible for locking their bikes on bike rack by the ramp. We are not responsible for missing/stolen bikes.
Aftercare begins at 2:20pm daily. Children must be picked up by 6:00pm.
The registration fee is $20. The weekly rate is $35. The daily rate is $7. To register or for more information, contact Mrs. Helana at 504-443-1361 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Benson will follow the district’s policies for safety. Click here for current district health protocols.
Additionally, Benson will follow these safety precautions:
- Water fountain mouth spouts will not be accessible. Students should have a water bottle with them to refill throughout the day.
- If a student is experiencing two or more of the symptoms below, they will be sent to the wellness room until a parent retrieves them from school.
- Chills or shaking
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- Facial flushing
- Generalized rash
- Fever of 99.4 F or greater
- Persistent cough not related to a known underlying condition
- Shortness of breath
- New loss of taste or smell
- Persistent vomiting or diarrhea
- Sanitation of classrooms will happen throughout the day.
- Students will be expected to wash their hands before collecting food in the cafeteria and after using the restrooms.
- Students will receive hand sanitizer as they enter campus every morning and will have it available to use throughout the day in the building as needed.