Guardian Email Summaries
At Jefferson Public Schools, your student’s teacher will be using a learning tool called Google Classroom. With Google Classroom, educators can create classes, distribute paperless assignments, post announcements and class questions, and provide feedback all through an intuitive, student-friendly interface.
As a parent, we recognize how important it is for you to keep up-to-date on your student’s progress in his or her classes, and Google Classroom provides a powerful feedback channel for parents called Guardian Email Summaries. This handout will provide information that you need to know in order to access this feedback and what kinds of information it will provide.
What will Guardian Email Summaries Tell Me as a Parent?
Guardian email summaries include:
- Missing work--work that’s late at the time the email was sent
- Upcoming work--Work that’s due today and tomorrow (for daily emails) or work that’s due in the upcoming week (for weekly emails)
- Class activity--Announcements, assignments, and questions recently posted by teachers
Guardians who sign up for email summaries can’t see the Stream, Classwork, People or Grades pages in Classroom.
How Do I Start Receiving Guardian Email Summaries?
As a guardian, you must receive and accept an email invitation before you can receive email summaries. Only teachers and administrators from your student’s school can send these invitations. You have 120 days to accept an invitation before it expires. The process for receiving is as follows:
- Your student’s teacher emails you an invitation. They can send it to any email address. If you haven’t received an invitation. Feel free to email your student’s teacher and request that they send you an invitation to start receiving email summaries.
- In your email program, open your email invitation
- Click Accept
How Frequently Will I Receive Guardian Email Summaries?
You will only receive email summaries when there is activity in Google Classroom. You can set your preferences to receive email summaries either daily or weekly. Note: Daily means Monday-Friday. You will not receive summaries on weekends.