WELCOME TO VIRTUAL ORIENTATION
This year we will be conducting our "Back to School" orientations virtually to provide a safe method for families and students to learn more about our school policies and procedures and obtain any information needed prior to coming to school! This page has been developed to walk you through the orientation process virtually. It is recommended to follow the steps below to ensure you do not miss anything important!
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the school at 504-366-5308, our office staff will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
Step 1: Virtual Jefferson Information
- Virtual Jefferson will begin daily at 7:35am.
- The expectation is that all students are logged into their Google Meet link by 7:35am daily.
- Per JPSchools policy, students will be counted as absent or tardy for any time they are not logged in.
- Attendance will be taken by every period teacher with both an entrance and exit ticket.
- Teachers will be doing live instruction throughout the day on Google Meet.
- You will use the link for Google Meet found at the top of your Classroom
- There will be a designated lunch time daily.
- There will also be blocks of time built into the schedule for students to complete web based intervention programs.
- JPSchools policy requires all virtual students attend school in their required uniform.
- 20-21 spirit shirts are on sale via Woodland West’s online store., and they can be worn as a uniform shirt throughout the year.
For help with Google Meet and other virtual issues
This year's theme: “Better Together Building a Strong Future”
Spirit Shirts can be purchased (1 student spirit shirt is included with the student fee)
Step 2: Meet the School Principal
Step 3: Uniforms & Supplies
Uniform information- REQUIRED FOR ALL, INCLUDING VIRTUAL STUDENTS
Uniform information is available here.
- Skobel's Uniforms is running a program for discounted uniform shirts, click here
- School uniforms are required for all students, including virtual students, and violating school uniform requirements will result in disciplinary action
- Read the uniform requirements carefully as they depend on the student’s grade level.
- Outer garments should have the students name on the tag or written inside.
All students are required to wear a mask at all times. We suggest you put an extra mask in a ziploc bag inside of the school bag. Also, make sure all masks have the student’s name on it.
The school will have masks for sale on our online store. 1 for $8/2 for $15. (Masks will be available by August 24th)
Once students receive their IDs, 2nd-8th grade students must wear the ID at all times while at school. Students will only be allowed to put the ID in their pocket during recess and PE. The first ID is included with the student fee. Replacement IDs must be purchased from the homeroom teacher for $5.
- While students are enrolled in Virtual Jefferson, they do not need to pay student supply fee.
- Click here for grade specific supply lists
Step 4: Chromebook and Tier One Materials Pick Up
Click Here to schedule an appointment to pick up your instructional materials. Every one must schedule a pick up time as all students will need their workbooks for at home learning.
- One person is allowed to come and pick up the student's supplies. This is a safety issue, and it is non-negotiable.
- You must come to the school to pick up the materials during your designated time.
- If you miss your time, we may not be able to provide you your supplies.
Step 6: School Culture
Our team has developed clear and concise Behavior Expectations for all areas of the school, including the virtual setting. Click the link and become familiar with our expectations.
It’s all about the money, money, money! All students will receive Eagle Bucks for their positive behavior and contribution to our school culture. If students are exhibiting the behaviors of Safe, Ready, Responsible students, they will receive Eagle Bucks. If students are modeling the Leader in Me Seven Habits, they receive Eagle Bucks. If a student is Responsible, Balanced, Cooperative, Purposeful, Empathetic, or Respectful, then they will receive Eagle Bucks.
Eagle Bucks are to be collected by the students. A lot of students like to keep them in a pencil pouch, which they call their wallet. When they have collected enough bucks, they will spend it on fun items, dress down passes, and to buy entrance to events. A list of items and costs will be announced and posted throughout the building.
Leader in Me:
Stephen Covey is a renown author who is best known for his work in defining the seven habits that effective people possess. This year, at Woodland West will begin our journey together as we explore the seven habits and how they can make our lives easier. To learn more about the seven habits and activities you can do with your student, check out the English or Spanish family handbook.
The seven habits are:
- Habit 1: Be Proactive
- Habit 2: Begin With the End in Mind
- Habit 3: Put First Things First
- Habit 4: Think Win-Win
- Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood
- Habit 6: Synergize
- Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw
Step 7: See you on the First Day!
VIRTUAL BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT
September 3, 2020 from 5:30-7:00
To meet your student’s teacher, log into their google classroom account and join the teacher on the classroom’s Google Meet. Check out this link for a video of how to join your student’s Google Meet.
- Virtual Jefferson will begin daily at 7:35am.