The parent/legal guardian of any student whose current legal address has not been verified must provide proof of residence within the school attendance district to the appropriate school principal. This requirement applies to students who are entering a Jefferson Parish public school for the first time or who have moved within Jefferson Parish.
Documents presented as proof of residence must bear the name and current legal address of the student’s parent/legal guardian. Acceptable documents (minimum of two (2)) include the following:
- lease agreement;
- current utility bill or deposit;
- copy of an agreement to purchase or an act of sale for completed dwelling;
- copy of an agreement to purchase or an act of sale for a residential lot entered into by the parent/legal guardian of the student, and a notarized statement from a contractor indicating the anticipated date of completion of a dwelling on the lot, said completion date not to exceed ninety (90) calendar days;
- legal document issued by or approved by the Civil District Court for the Parish of Jefferson giving control and custody to the adult(s) if other than the student’s legal parent(s) with whom the student resides, if the student is (16) years of age or under;
- legal documents verifying student’s emancipation and/or legal proof of residence as required;
- legal document issued by or approved by the U. S. Office of Immigration and Naturalization;
If none of these documents can be provided, the school principal will give the parent/legal guardian or student(s) fifteen (15) school days to produce acceptable documents to prove residence.