501 Manhattan Blvd.
Harvey, LA 70058
What We Do
The Jefferson Parish School's Early Childhood Program provides effective teacher-child interactions that are foundational to young children becoming life-long learners. High-quality early childhood education is critical to a child's success.
Pre-K applications for publicly funded programs for the 2020 - 2021 school year will open Thursday, March 5th. Applications must be submitted online at www.jeffersonchild.com through the "Apply Now" button on the top of the home page. For application support options, please visit www.jeffersonchild.com/registration-Info.
Publicly funded programs prioritize enrollment for low-income children and children with identified disabilities. Applications can be submitted online at www.jeffersonchild.com.
Enrollment is NOT first-come, first-served. Applications are accepted through April 17, 2020.
Guidelines for Registration for JP Schools PK4 Classes
- Child must be four (4) years old on or before September 30, 2020 to apply for a JP Schools PK4 classroom.
- Publicly funded programs priortize enrollment for low-income children and children with identified disabilities.
- Applications will be prioritized for placements in child’s elementary school district/zone.
- Bus transportation will only be provided for students within their school attendance zones.
- Only completed applications with ALL required documents will be placed in the lottery system.
- Parents may choose up to three (3) sites for possible placement in the application process.
- Title I classes may be subject to an academic screening.
- Families will receive placement or wait-listed status by E-MAIL ONLY.
- Families will be required to accept or decline placement through their online account.
Items Needed to Register Your Child
- Parent/Guardian = driver’s license, state-issued ID, or passport (current, NOT expired)
- Foster parent = DCFS papers
- Grandparent=Legal guardianship papers
- Child’s Birth Certificate (Must be clear copy of original certificate)
- Proof of Residency: One of the following and MUST match parent name on application.
- Current utility bill (gas, electric or water ONLY)
- Current legal document issued/approved by the US Office of Immigration/Naturalization showing current address
- Current lease (must have date and show name/address of apartment and name of person(s) leasing apartment)
- Current mortgage statement
- If the proof of residency document is in the name of another adult, that adult must provide dated and signed residency letter certifying that the child and parent(s) live at that address and certifying whether or not they provide support to the child and parent(s).
- Proof of Income (1 or more of the following)
- 2 consecutive check stubs for EACH ADULT ON THE APPLICATION who supports the child; stubs must be issued within 2 months of the date of the application and showing parent/adult name, pay period, hours worked, hourly rate and year-to-date income.
- An official letter signed by your employer on company letterhead stating all of the following:
- Where parent/guardian is employed
- Hourly rate of pay
- The average number of hours parent/guardian works per week
- Date employed and year-to-date income
- Dated and signed Declaration of Income for Irregular Employment Form (can be downloaded at www.jeffersonchild.com under the Registration Info tab) Form must be filled out completely.
- Letter or certificate showing current status of SNAP/Food Stamps – must include the parent and child names and valid effective dates (Certified through ___)
- A statement from the Social Security Administration verifying that the child listed on the application is a recipient of SSI benefits
- A statement from the Social Security Administration for any other household member, which must be accompanied by two current check stubs or other income documentation for each adult in the household.
- Current foster care placement agreement from DCFS. Foster parents are NOT required to upload their income, only the DCFS foster care agreement.
- Parents who are unemployed must submit a dated and signed Statement of No Income Form (can be downloaded at www.jeffersonchild.com under the Registration Info tab); this includes stay-at-home moms & stay-at-home dads.
- Parents who are homeless must contact JPPSS Homeless Coordinator at 504-365-5331 or come to 501 Manhattan Boulevard to complete an assessment.
- Current/Updated Immunization Records (Valid State of Louisiana Universal Certificate of Immunization)
- 2019 Proof of Income (if applicable)
- Income tax forms for 2019 (W2, 1040A, or 1099) showing parent names and annual income REQUIRED for parents who are self-employed and REQUIRED for applications to Jeff Cap Birth to Five Programs
- Special Education documentation (IEP/IFSP/Evaluation only when applicable)
- For Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) applications, upload current CCAP certificate into Proof of Income upload box. A current CCAP certificate is REQUIRED and CCAP certificate must show certification dates and parent and child names
Tuition Information for PK students in JPS:
Free Tuition for all JPS preschool classes, including the academy schools, are available to children who meet age and income eligibility requirements (200% or less of the Federal Poverty Level). Classes shall be provided at no cost except for the applicable lunch cost to the child or his/her family for any child who is eligible to receive reduced price meals. Tuition will be charged for the months of August through May, for any child who does not meet eligibility requirements (200% or less of the Federal Poverty Level). Families will be required to provide Proof of Income (documentation of gross income with forms found on the PK Department’s web page) in order to determine eligibility for free tuition.
Please email the PK Department at email@example.com or call (504) 349-7912 for clarification regarding eligibility determination for free tuition.
Next Steps for Site-Based Registration
In May, families who have accepted the Pre-K 4 lottery seats through their Jefferson Child dashboard will receive a phone call from the school secretary to complete site-based registration. Families must complete site-based registration according to the school's deadline for the child to be fully registered. Sites may ask for additional information and documentation to further ensure the child's eligibility for the program. The school will provide information regarding uniforms, parent orientation, and start date for Pre-K students once site-based registration is complete.