“The Minutes in Minutes” is a new feature that highlights Jefferson Parish School Board meetings. To see everything that happened at the February 12, 2019 school board meeting, watch the video above. You can click here to view the agenda from each meeting or click here for more information about the Jefferson Parish School Board. To learn how you can watch our board meetings live, click here.
JP Schools Superintendent Dr. Cade Brumley presented Working to Transform: Douglass Elementary. The video series highlights the work being done to improve student outcomes in our Transformation Network schools. Click here to view the video.
- Second Reading authored by Billy North deferred indefinitely: Move that the Jefferson Parish Public School Board approve the hiring of an accounting firm to conduct a forensic audit of the school system. The firm hired may not have any personal, professional, financial, or political affiliation or ties to a current school board member, superintendent, or chief financial officer or anyone who has served in these positions since January 1, 2011. The firm must be selected by March 15, 2019 and must provide a full report to the Board no later than May 15, 2019. The report must also include a recommended spending plan encompassing the next 10 years. The cost of this project must not exceed industry average.
- Second Reading authored by Simeon Dickerson deferred and moved to the Facilities Committee: Move that the Jefferson Parish School Board approve, subject to the terms and conditions negotiated by the facilities committee, acquire a certain tract of property comprising approximately 40 or more acres land together with all the improvements thereon, the same being a portion of the property commonly known as NOLA MOTORSPORTS PARK, for the purpose of establishing a standalone, full day ACADEMY FOR ADVANCED TECHNICAL AND CAREER EDUCATION, to open school year 2020-2021 in partnership and cooperation with local and regional trade and industry professionals.
- The board approved the district’s new strategic plan, 2024: The Future Our Kids Deserve. The plan will serve as a guiding document to drive the system for the next five years.
- The board approved a resolution to declare February 25 to March 1, 2019 as Voter Registration Week in JP high schools. JP Schools will work in cooperation with the Jeremiah Group.
FIRST READING AUTHORED BY MR. MOÏSE
- Move that Jefferson Parish School Board and Ochsner Clinic Foundation enter into a cooperative endeavor lease of School Board property located at 1108 Shrewsbury Road, Jefferson, LA 70121, for the financing and construction of a new Pre-K through 8 Type 1 charter school. Facility financing and construction shall be undertaken, at no cost to the School Board, pursuant to a community partnership between Discovery Health Science Foundation, Inc. and Ochsner Clinic Foundation. Upon completion of construction, the facility shall be leased to Kenner Discovery Health Sciences Academy which has provided notice to the School Board of its intent to open and operate a second pre-K through 8 charter school pursuant to La. Revised Statute 17:3992(D). The terms of the cooperative endeavor lease agreement are to be negotiated and presented to the School Board for final approval.