501 Manhattan Blvd.
Harvey, LA 70058
What We Do
What We Do
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is part of the District Affairs Unit of the Jefferson Parish Schools.
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports provides an operational framework for improving student academic and behavior outcomes.
- It ensures all students have access to the most effective and accurately implemented instructional and behavioral practices and interventions.
- PBIS is NOT a curriculum, but IS a decision-making framework that guides selection, integration and implementation of the best evidence-based academic and behavioral practices for improving academic and behavioral outcomes for all students.
- The basic PBIS approach is to use proactive, research-based strategies to teach clearly defined behavioral expectations.
- It establishes ongoing behavior supports that can be used by ALL students, staff, parents, volunteers, and community members.
Why does PBIS Work?
Research shows that when a school environment is positive and predictable, students feel safe, have better academic performance, higher test results and make better behavior choices. Schools also show a gain in instructional time and a reduction in discipline referrals and out of school suspensions.
PBIS in JP Schools
JPS has a PBIS District Coordinator that coordinates trainings, supports schools, and serves as a liaison between the district and the LDOE. Each school in JPS has a Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports Team comprised of a team leader, an administrator, faculty and staff members representing various grade levels and departments of the school, and support personnel.
NOTE: Schools will be reimbursed for subs for all trainings offered through Region 1 Consortium funds when attending during school hours.
Student Climate Clubs
The purpose of a Climate Club is to give students an opportunity to share their experiences, opinions, and recommendations about school climate and how to improve the school, with adult assistance. The clubs work on a collaborative action plan for improving their school. Equally important, they illustrate for everyone involved the value of student voice—an important school resource in promoting a positive school climate. Each club will work to assist the school’s PBIS team’s initiatives.
Vector Training - (Previously Safe Schools)
Click here to access the Vector Training site. The following courses are recommended for all School Employees who work directly with students. Employees will use their seven digit employee number as their user ID. No password is required. If you have any problems with logging in, please contact Nichole Penn-Paul at 504-349-7965.